Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Avengers: The Initiative #17

Overall- Huh, I really like this comic book. Even though it's a part of the HATED "Secret Invasion", I really, really like it. Now, if I know anything about how things in my life work, that means this comic will be canceled in short order. I truly believe that Marvel Comics, and the people in charge of it hate me, and are doing everything possible to make me miserable. However, let me put my insane, paranoid ramblings off to the side for now, and recap what I read in this issue.

This comic followed a couple of different characters, so I'm going to be all over the place with this review, so good luck following along. 3D Man and the Skrull Kill Krew are still travelling the countryside, checking every Initiative team out, since they know that there is at least 1 Skrull on all 50 Initiative teams. Jocasta(!) and Devil-Slayer join up with the Krew, which should greatly improve the speed the Krew move at since Devil-Slayer can teleport.

Back at Camp Hammond, Skrull Spider-Woman(who is the leader of the Skrull forces)arrives to take command of the camp. Ant-Man, still hiding, watches all this unfold, and is discovered by the Shadow Initiative. The Shadow Initiative, now including Ant-Man, decides that they are going to assassinate Skrull Spider-Woman. A good plan, except they wind up turning on each other thanks to Skrull induced paranoia. Ant-Man once again eludes capture and hides where no one will see him, right underneath Skrull Spider-Woman's massive breasts! Oh how I love this comic book...

We also learn that Crusader has hooked up with Nick Fury and his forces. Crusader begins to doubt which side he should be working for, but a pep talk from Nick helps his resolve resolidify. That's Nick Fury for you, the guy can talk somebody into anything, even betraying their original race!

Have I mentioned that I love this comic book lately? I have? Well, it bears repeating. As I've stated numerous times in the past, I am a longtime fan of Marvel Comics. To me, Avengers: The Initiative is the only Avengers title on the market worth reading today. Dan Slott and Christos Gage(series writers)are doing such a good job with all the characters in this book that it makes me wish they were writing all of the "Avengers" comic books! Avengers: The Initiative is the only "Avengers" comic that reads like an Avengers comic book should. As always, I am awed by Slott and Gage's ability to pull the most obscure characters into this comic. Jocasta showed up! I can't wait to read the next issue just to see what blast from the past Slott/Gage will bring back next! Plus, I'm dying to know just who Mutant Zero really is... It couldn't be Jean Grey, could it???

Not only that, but it's also the small touches that really make this comic book work for me. There was a scene with Komodo and Hardball, where the two embrace and Komodo says something along the lines of "I know who I can trust.", obviously referencing Hardball. Well, if you read the Avengers: The Initiative Special #1, you know that Komodo shouldn't trust Hardball, but for a whole different reason! Anyway, for a score I'll go with a VERY strong 9 out of 10. This is a really good comic book!

No comments:

Post a Comment