Monday, November 17, 2008

My Rant Against Nightwing #95

Overall- I'm nearly at a loss for words to describe my feelings towards this comic... No, that's not true, I am never at a loss for words, just ask anybody who really knows me! Allow me to rephrase... I'm at a loss for words to describe my feelings, in a positive manner, towards this comic. This comic book was, for a lack of a better description, pure, total and utter garbage. I don't know what else to say about it... I guess I'll attempt to describe what exactly it was all about.

Dick arrives on the scene to help Tarantula take down Copperhead, which he does pretty easily. After the fight, Tarantula decides to take Dick out on a date(!), to which Dick reluctantly agrees(!!). So, they go to a bar, eat, and talk for a while before downing a few shots of tequila. The next day, Tarantula takes Dick to the county clerk's office to get a marriage certificate(!!!!!). Dick is extremely hesitant to go through with this, but Tarantula is insistent. Before Dick can sign, he gets a call from Batman to return to Gotham to help him out. Dick then happily runs out of the clerk's office without signing the marriage certificate. So, I guess that means that Tarantula now knows Dick's real name...

Where the #### do I even start... First off, this comic blurred the line entirely too much when it came to Tarantula's status. Tarantula is an evil, murdering rapist. This issue seemed like it was trying to show her in an almost heroic light. What the #### is that all about??? I can't even imagine what kind of an outcry there would have been if the gender roles were reversed. Can you imagine how people would have reacted if during the Identity Crisis crossover, Dr. Light had raped Sue Dibny, then ran off with her, and married her!!! I know I would have been pissed off beyond words. What can possibly justify Dick continuing to travel with Tarantula after all the #### she's done to him? I'll answer that one myself, NOTHING! It's hard to remember being this angry after reading a comic book not written by Chris Yost.

I think I could continue to complain about this comic book for at least the next several days, so I'd better stop now. The score for this comic book is pretty easy to come to, a 0 out of 10. This comic book had no redeeming qualities, and in light of the past 2 issues, actually left me infuriated. The next 3 issues of Nightwing crossover with the other Batman titles in a story called War Games. Since I have the 3 War Games TPB's, I'll probably read those as opposed to the individual issues of Nightwing. My advise to anyone reading this blog is to stay far, far, far away from this issue if you value your mental health. I sure wish I had...

No comments:

Post a Comment