Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Captain America #44

OK, since my pile of new Marvel comics is beginning to grow again, I figured it might be a good time to read a few. Needless to say, the comic on top of my "to read" list is the latest issue of Cap.

Overall- I'm going to be a bit quick with my review, since like I stated before, over the course of the next few days I'd like to really polish off some of these comics that are starting to pile up. This comic basically deals with Cap(it's still weird calling Bucky that...)and Black Widow realizing that whatever Batroc the Leaper was trying to steal from the U.N., the U.N. specifically didn't want Cap to know about. That piece of information makes Cap think that the U.N. may have deduced who he used to be(The Winter Soldier). Natasha assures Cap that they haven't, thanks to Nick Fury and Tony Stark, and Cap and Widow try to figure out what the U.N. was hiding.

The U.N. decides to move this mystery object to a more secure location, and Batroc attacks the U.N. convoy. Cap arrives after figuring out that the U.N. was moving the object, and he engages Batroc on top of the moving vehicle. Cap and Batroc seem even, when a mystery man in a trenchcoat shows up and knocks Cap off of the vehicle and into the street. As the comic ends, we discover that the mystery man and Cap met many years ago, when Cap was still the Winter Soldier.

That was the quickest review I've ever done! A lot of this issue dealt with flashbacks to Bucky's Winter Soldier days, and with his attempted assassination of a Chinese scientist back then. As always, Ed Brubaker is doing a great job on this book, although this storyline seems to be a bit of a letdown after how amazing the first 42 issues this series were. With that said, I would still recommend this comic highly. For a score, I'll go with an 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment