Friday, December 5, 2008

Justice Society of America: Kingdom Come Special: The Kingdom

Overall- AHHHHH... These past three comics I've read have been so fulfilling on so many levels. This comic deals with the "gifts" Gog has been giving to people, mainly the members of the JSA. Some of Gog's gifts have been very much appreciated, he resurrected Lance after he was killed, transforming him into Magog, as well as healing Damage's mangled face. Gog has also been transforming much of Africa as he marches towards Kahndaq. Gog has purified polluted rivers, as well as allowing trees to grow and flourish.

On the other hand, many of Gog's gifts have had a negative effect on those he touched. By curing Dr. Midnite's blindness, he greatly diminished Midnite's abilities as a doctor. By curing Sand of his nightmares, Sand now can not use those nightmares to stop crime like he once did. So, although Gog's motives seem altruistic, many of his actions have backfired. Gog sends his followers, such as Damage to spread the word of Gog, which Damage is more then happy to do.

Damage goes to the press and tells them about how great Gog is, showing himself as a prime example of Gog's wonderful deeds. Star Girl becomes fed up with Damage's rants, and tells him he shouldn't be acting like he was speaking for the entire JSA. Damage dismisses her, but is attacked and knocked out by Star Girl's secret weapon, Atom Smasher. Damage awakens in Atom Smasher's home, but Damage flips out and destroys Atom Smasher's house during a pitched battle with Smasher. The non-Gog oriented JSA arrive on the scene to subdue Damage, but Magog also arrives, teleporting Damage back to Gog.

Back at the JSA's base, Sand approaches Mr. Terrific telling him that with his connection to the Earth, he can feel the planet dying. Sand says that once Gog is on the Earth for 7 days the planet will die. On the seventh day, Gog stands before his followers and tells them to get down on their knees and worship him, much to their suprise. The plot is really beginning to thicken now! We also had some strangeness with Starman, who has apparently taken a job as a gravedigger in Metropolis... I'm not sure what that is all about, but I'm sure it will be explained in good time.

Once again this was a great comic, as we are seemingly getting closer and closer to discovering the true motives of Gog. I know I can't wait to read JSA #21, and I have already ordered it, so hopefully early next week I'll have my hands on the penultimate part of this spectacular storyline. Anybody who doesn't think that Geoff Johns and Alex Ross are doing a brilliant job with this story must be insane or something. I can't remember the last time I've enjoyed a comic book story line this much, and I can honestly say that I am so very happy that I started to read DC comic books earlier this year. What more can I possibly say? For a score, I'll give this comic a 9 out of 10. I can't wait for JSA #21!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment