Sunday, December 21, 2008

So, the War of Kings is fast approaching.

Just figured I'd throw out a few thoughts on the upcoming Marvel Comics cosmic crossover, "War of Kings". First off, let me state that I really like the writing team of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. These two guys have been writing "Nova" and "Guardians of the Galaxy", and have been doing a damn fine job, so I was overjoyed to find out they were going to be the main force behind the "War of Kings" crossover.

As much as I love the work of Abnett and Lanning, I ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY ABHOR the writing of Christopher Yost. I hate Yost's writing, and I refuse to purchase anything with his name attached. The guy is a hack, who should go back to writing sucky cartoons. If you are a fan of Yost's "work", that's fine, but I think that as a writer, he is one of the worst in all of comic books. There, I feel better now. The only reason I mention Yost is because he is writing one of the prologues to "War of Kings", "X-Men: Kingbreaker". That really pisses me off, because "X-Men: Kingbreaker" seems to heavily involve one of the better characters in the X-Universe, Vulcan. Ed Brubaker created Vulcan, in "X-Men: Deadly Genesis", and I've been a huge fan of Vulcan since. I really hate to miss "X-Men: Kingbreaker", but I swore that I would never(knowingly)buy a comic book written by Yost(ask me why, I'd be happy to explain). Unfortunately, that means I'll be in the dark as to what goes on in that comic.

Back to the brilliance that is the writing team of Abnett and Lanning. "War of Kings" looks like it will involve many of the major alien races in the Marvel Universe, including the Shiar, Kree, possibly the Badoon, the Inhumans, and the dwellers of the Negative Zone. Notice that I didn't mention the Skrulls. That right there is a huge plus, since after Secret Invasion, I'm sick and tired of the Skrulls. Besides these races, Nova, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and Darkhawk(!) also seem to be involved in this upcoming crossover. Yep, I'm a huge Darkhawk fan, maybe the only one left! I've always liked the Kree, and am a big fan of many Kree's, including the original Captain Marvel(Mar-Vell), his son, Genis-Vell, Ronan the Accuser, as well as Marvel Boy(Noh-Varr)and the Supreme Intelligence. The Kree have always been my favorite alien race in the Marvel U, so I'm hoping they have a pretty major role in "War of Kings". I've never been too fond of the Shiar, but with Vulcan leading them, I'll happily tolerate them.

The bottom line here is that I am really looking forward to "War of Kings"! This is actually the most optimistic I've been about a Marvel crossover since "House of M". I've been really disappointed with the major Marvel crossovers since "House of M", and I am really hoping Marvel knocks this one out of the park. By handing the writing chores for "War of Kings" over to Abnett and Lanning, Marvel has managed to get my hopes up, so hopefully I won't be let down again...

No comments:

Post a Comment