Friday, January 2, 2009

New Avengers #47

Overall- I did it! I finally made it through 5 of the worst comic books I have read in a long time! Before I rejoice too much, let me write up my feelings about this, the final Secret Invasion issue of New Avengers

-This issue had pretty much nothing to do with Secret Invasion. Normally that's a good thing, but the story was all about Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, two characters I really don't care that much about.

-Luke tells his infant daughter the story about how he fell in love with her mother. Meh.

-Luke hires Jessica to find his father, who hates Luke due to his spending time in prison for pushing drugs(Luke was framed, but his old man doesn't believe that).

-Jessica tracks Luke's dad down, but he still doesn't want anything to do with Luke. Luke tries to talk to his dad, but his father won't even come to the door to see him.

-The issue ends with us finding out that Skrull Jarvis has abducted Luke and Jessica's daughter as the Skrull invasion was finally put down(we already saw this in Secret Invasion #7 or 8).

-The only plus coming out of this issue for me is that hopefully Luke and Jessica will leave the team and go off to find their missing daughter. I'm sorry, but Luke Cage never fit the Avengers mold to me. I have a bunch of Luke's old comics, and he was always more of a solo hero to me. I did like his Heroes for Hire series with Iron Fist, but that wasn't really a team, it was just two friends working together. Then again, Wolverine and Spider-Man never should have been Avengers either. But I guess that's an argument for another day.

Since the Skrull crap was kept to a minimum, I didn't hate this issue as much as I've hated the past few issues of this series. But, since I just don't care about Jessica Jones and I barely care about Luke Cage, this issue didn't really do anything for me. For a score, I'll give this issue a 4 out of 10. Well, that's it. Over the course of about an hour and a half, I managed to read and post my thoughts on 5 issues of New Avengers.

All in all, these were horrible comic books, and I can't imagine I'll EVER bother reading them again. The next issue is the roster shake-up following the events of Secret Invasion #8. I don't know who will be on the team, because I've been trying very hard to avoid potential spoilers, but I just hope we get some real Avengers on this team. Luke Cage, Wolverine, and Spider-Man are not real Avengers to me. I want some classic Avengers. You know, the Avengers most of us grew up reading about. I really miss the old days when Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Wasp, Pym, Hawkeye, Namor, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, She-Hulk and such were the Avengers. Spidey has his own comic, leave him there. God knows Wolverine is in MORE than enough comic books already, please keep him off the Avengers. Luke Cage works better in a small group or alone. Get him a solo book or pair him with Iron Fist over in his comic. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the Young Avengers popping up in this series, but I guess that's a pipe dream at best. If nothing else, this new team better have Clint Barton back as Hawkeye on it. That would at least make up for some of the last few atrocious issues of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment