Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Quick Hits 1/06/09

I figured that I'd try to start a permanent feature of my blog called "Quick Hits", where I'll throw a few thoughts about some random things. If I like the way this works out, I'll try to do a Quick Hits post about once a week. Of course, I'm interested in knowing what the readers of this blog think about this idea, and if anyone feels like commenting on some of my random thoughts, please, comment away! So, without further ado, here are my inaugural Quick Hits.

-I've been meaning to say this for a while, so I'm just going to come right out with it now, I've been thoroughly enjoying the Cartoon Network's "Brave and the Bold" series. I thought I was going to really hate this series, but it has really grown on me the past three weeks. It's like a bizarre mix of the old campy Batman series from the 1960's and the Batman cartoon from the 1990's. I basically sit there laughing through the entire show, which I think is the point. The cartoon isn't completely idiotic, but also doesn't take itself too seriously. It's a good, clean, fun romp.

-After reading Flash #247 earlier, the last page kind of got under my skin. The last page had nothing to do with the story itself, but was a note from DC editor Dan Didio. In this note, Dan stated that when he started working at DC, he had a desire to bring back both Hal Jordan as the Green Lantern, and Barry Allen as the Flash. I want the record to state that I was totally fine with the return of Hal Jordan, because let's face it the way he was killed off really sucked big time. Hal was a great hero for decades, and DC offs him by turning him into an evil god? That's just an insult to all off Hal's fans. If Hal was going to die, he deserved a real heroes send off, you know, sacrificing his life for the good of the world or something along those lines... Just like the way Barry Allen died. Barry Allen's death saved the entire planet Earth from the villainous Anti-Monitor(I think, I'm still a bit foggy on DC history). The bottom line is Barry died a true heroes death, and after 23 years, there just doesn't seem to be any reason to bring him back now. Wally West has been the Flash for 23 years now... That's a long time. He's an established character. Wally has served with the JLA, Titans, etc. He's known and respected by pretty much the entire super-human population in the DCU. Why change Flashes? I guess the bottom line is because Dan Didio wants to... To me that reasoning really sucks. So, Wally gets shuttled to the background just so a favorite of Dan Didio can come back to life. That's not fair to Wally, or to his many fans who have been collecting his adventures for the past 23 years.

-I read a bunch of Nightwing comics last night, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed them. Bruce Jones run on Nightwing didn't really do much for me, but I was VERY pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the comics written by Marv Wolfman. Now, I know Marv is something of a comic book icon(just look at what he did with the Teen Titans in the early 1980's), but for the most part, I really didn't like his work on the New Titans in the late 1980's-1990's. Those comics were so terrible, that the New Titans series is one of the FEW comic series that I have purchased and just can't bring myself to read. I was shocked by how much I hated those comic books, especially since I had always heard that Marv was kind of like the Chris Claremont of the DCU. With that said, I couldn't put down the Nightwing comics Marv had written last night. They were some of the best written Nightwing adventures since the very early Chuck Dixon penned run, way back in the beginning of the series.

-Since I haven't gotten any feedback here, I think I'll probably make an attempt to read the Runaways comic books. I really used to enjoy that comic when it was written by Brian K. Vaughan. Joss Whedon really messed up the flow of that book with his month's long delays.

-I REALLY can't wait to get my hands on JSA #22!!! I should be reading that sometime early next week.

-Out of curiosity, can anybody tell me if the DC comic series Hard Time was any good? I picked it up at a price too good not to buy it, but I know next to nothing about it.

My sister, who is the Robin(Tim Drake)fan in the family sure was annoyed after reading Robin #181. She was sure complaining about how messed up Robin is looking lately. I flipped through the comic, and was kind of surprised to see the condition Tim was in. What the hell happened to him? I sure hope Robin has a place in the DCU after the end of Final Crisis. Even though I haven't really followed Tim's series, I've always liked him in Teen Titans, and especially in Young Justice.

-2 more weeks of vacation from college left, I just paid my tuition today. What that means is that I have 2 weeks to read as many comic books as humanly possible, before I'm bogged down by schoolwork again!

Well, I think that's it for now. Before I clock out for the night, I'm going to try to read/post a few more comic books tonight. If you read through this post, my hat is off for you. Let me know what you think, and if you have any comments whatsoever, about stuff I've written about, or just comic related stuff, in general, drop me a comment(just try to keep the spoilers to a minimum!). Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment