Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Teen Titans #66

Overall- Oh well, even though I saw it coming from a mile away, it still kicked me in the stomach when it finally happened... But, anyone reading this probably doesn't know what I'm talking about, so I'll get to the review.

Basically, this issue dealt with Robin trying to recruit new members to join the severely depleted ranks of the Teen Titans. He sends Red Devil to talk to various teens with super powers, but every one of them turns down the offer to join the Titans. It is obvious that Robin is holding something back, and God help me, even before I picked up this comic book, I knew exactly what it was, so I'm going to stop dancing around it and just come out with it. Near the end of the comic, Cassie walks into Robin's bedroom and finds him looking at a picture of Kid Flash, Superboy, Cassie and himself, from back when they first joined the Teen Titans together.

Cassie asks Robin what's going on, and my heart drops when Robin tells her what I've been suspecting, that he's leaving the team......... Goddammit, I knew this was coming. I was hoping so hard that it wasn't going to happen though. Oh well, that's that. Cassie assures Robin that he can go, and that the Teen Titans will survive just as they always have in the past. We end the issue with Robin flying away from Titan Tower while the pathetic remnants of the Teen Titans look on.

I knew this was going to happen, especially with the crap happening to Robin over in his own comic, but I was really hoping that Robin would at least stay a member of the Titans. But, alas, that doesn't seem to be the case. So, Tim Drake, who by the way is, well I guess was my favorite Teen Titan, is now out of the Titans, as well as being out of the Robin comic book...

And now, it's time for me to completely flip out! Here we go! As is right now, this is THE WORST TEAM COMIC BOOK TODAY!!!!! I like Wonder Girl. I always did. I don't care about Red Devil one way or the other, I loathe Blue Beetle, he's an obnoxious little jerk as far as I'm concerned, and I really don't like Bombshell, who is just kind of there. That's it... That's the Teen Titans as of right now.

I withstood losing Superboy, who added a lot to the team in terms of personality and familial connections. It killed me a little bit inside, but I also survived Impulse/Kid Flash moving on as well... But I'll admit it right now, losing Robin hurts, and I mean hurts REAL bad. Robin was the undisputed leader of this team, and losing him is a hit I don't think I'll be able to live with.

Basically, what I'm saying is I'm going to give this series 3 more issues. If things don't change in 3 more issues, then the Teen Titans, one of the comics that hooked me into the DC Universe will be the first DC comic book I stop collecting. I just can't rationalize plunking down $3 to read about a team I have NO emotional investment in. For a score, I'll give this issue a depressing 3 out of 10. The future of this comic book looks bleak, and I don't think things are going to be getting any better any time soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment