Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Faces of Evil: Deathstroke #1

Overall- I liked this comic, but I was hoping for a little bit more from it. But alas, allow me to elaborate. This comic book picks up where DC Universe: Last Will and Testament left off. Deathstroke has been nearly fatally wounded after his encounter with Geo-Force, and is recuperating at Belle Reve prison. It seems that Slade has lost the will to live and has forced his healing factor to work in reverse, in effect, slowly killing himself. Slade asks to see his daughter Ravager(Rose Wilson)one final time before he kicks the bucket.

Rose doesn't buy the fact that her father has suddenly become suicidal, but goes to see him anyway. Slade is alone in a wheelchair looking out of a supposedly unbreakable window when Rose arrives. Upon entering Slade's room, Rose immediately breaks the controls for the door, making it impossible for anyone to enter or exit the room. She then walks up behind Slade with a plastic garrote and begins to strangle the life out of him, not believing for a second that Slade doesn't have some type of escape plan in mind, and wanting to spare the world from Slade's next evil act.

It turns out Rose is right, and Slade has orchestrated the entire meeting with Rose as a means to escape. After turning the tables on Rose, Slade manages to break the supposedly unbreakable window(I guess they just don't make then like they used to...)and hijack a military helicopter that was there to prevent Slade from escaping... Whoops! Slade decides by the end of this issue that #1, he will no longer murder for hire, he will kill whoever he feels deserves it, hero or villain and #2, that he will create a new family, one who will not betray him, and one that he can shape and mold in any way he deems fit.

I'm an unabashed fan of Deathstroke. As far as villains go, he's definitely one of the deepest/best in my eyes. With that said, I was hoping for just a little bit more from this comic. That's not to say I didn't enjoy reading this book, because I really did, but I just wanted a little more... I'd guess that Deathstroke is planning on creating a Titans East sort of team again, meaning a group of impressionable kids he can mold into his "family" as he put it. All in all, I'd recommend this comic and I'll give it a score of 8 out of 10. Like I said, I liked this comic alot, but there was just SOMETHING missing...

No comments:

Post a Comment