Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Action Comics #875

Overall- To be honest with anyone who reads this blog, normally I'll post my thoughts about a comic book immediately after I read it, that way, the events are still fresh, and I have the comic sitting next to me if I need to reference it for some clarification. With that said, I read this comic early yesterday morning, and after two full days of classes(after sitting through Statistics, my mind often goes blank), I'm going to admit that this review is going to be pretty lackluster, since I barely remember what the hell happened in it!

With Superman off world, Nightwing(the Kryptonian one)and Flamebird have taken top billing in this comic series. Here's where I admit once again that my knowledge of the Superman characters is rudimentary at best, and I admit that the revelation that Nightwing is Chris Kent doesn't really do anything for me, mainly because I don't know who Chris Kent is! Is he General Zod's biological son??? Maybe? I guess? I don't know? Besides that, we learn that Flamebird is actually a citizen of New Krypton named Thara Ak-Var, which sadly means next to nothing to me. Until I pick up some Superman back issues, I'm going to be pretty much in the dark when it comes to these characters and who they are and what they mean to Supes.

Anyway, Nightwing and Flamebird apprehend some evil New Kryptonian in Australia, which garners the interest of General Lane, who I'm going to make an educated guess is Lois' father. Nightwing and Flamebird are wearing heavy armor in order to disguise their Kryptonian heritage, since the U.N. has banned any Kryptonian's not named Superman from operating on Earth. Nightwing and Flamebird return to the Fortress of Solitude with their prisoner and Nightwing has a sudden and painful growth spurt. OK, that was kind of weird... While Flamebird is tending to her fallen partner, a New Kryptonian enters the Fortress with orders to execute both Flamebird and Nightwing.

I really should apologize here, because my knowledge of Superman and his supporting characters is embarrassingly low. Out of all the DC heroes, believe it or not, Supes is the one I know the least about! Arguably the most popular comic book character in history, and I couldn't place half the characters in this comic book... Sad. Don't worry, I fully intend to pick up some Superman back issues and get myself up to date with Supes and his supporting crew. Even though I wasn't sure about who a lot of these characters were, Greg Rucka(writer)did a great job making this comic accessible to someone like myself, who's knowledge of these characters was somewhat lacking. For a score, I'll give this issue a 7 1/2 out of 10. This issue was definitely good enough to warrant another chance next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment