Monday, March 16, 2009

A rant against Teen Titans #68

Overall- Before I start with the straight up review, I want to say something. I like most of the work I've read from Sean McKeever. I admit that I mainly know Sean's writing though his Marvel work(Gravity, Sentinel and Mystique really stand out), but as a writer, I always thought Sean was very good... Then Sean took over this series, Teen Titans. After reading this comic I sat back and wondered what exactly I did to piss Sean off so badly. Did I run over his dog? Did I throw a rock through his window? Did I spit in his coffee?!? Whatever it was, I want to extend my fullest apology, and beg Sean to fix this comic book series.

OK, that was my overly dramatic way of saying this comic was bad. Real bad. The last year(at least)of this series has been bad. Why oh why is this comic so bad?!? It was this series(well, actually the series that preceded this one, Young Justice)that actually made me begin to read DC comics, after devoting the early years of my life entirely to reading Marvel comic books. Teen Titans will always be special to me, which is why the horrible current direction has been killing me. I can't stress strongly enough how much I HATE the current make-up of this team. After checking out the cover for next issue, my hopes aren't any higher at all... It looks like the new team will consist of Wonder Girl, Kid Eternity, Red Devil, some girl I can't identify, Bombshell, Miss Martian, Blue Beetle and Static... Yes, the Static from the cartoon... Once again, I find myself asking, why?

This comic has officially made its way onto my s###-list. If things don't improve DRASTICALLY immediately following the upcoming "Deathtrap" crossover, I'll be dropping this book. For the record, I hardly EVER give up on a comic book. Through thick and thin, I stick it out and hope things will improve, until things become hopeless... Off the top of my head, I can only remember dropping three comic books over the course of my life, the current Ghost Rider series, Chris Yost's awful New X-Men and Thunderbolts. Basically, Teen Titans is now officially on life support, and I hate to say it, but I think by summertime, I'll be pulling the plug.

As for a review of this comic, I don't have the patience to do a proper one, so I'll be brief. Kid Eternity takes the newly de-powered Red Devil to Hell, so they can figure out why his powers are gone. They travel along and run into some shape-shifting demons... Ho-hum. They arrive at Hell's hall of records and discover that Red Devil never actually signed his contract with Neron... You know, the contract that gave him his powers... Yeah, that makes TONS of sense. So, I guess Neron gave Red Devil his powers because he's really a nice guy? Anyway, Blaze approaches Red Devil and offers to give him his powers back, if he promises to serve her for all of eternity upon reaching his 20th birthday. Since Red Devil's an absolute moron, he gets ready to sign, but is stopped by Kid Eternity. KE transforms into Red Devil's dead aunt, the two have a heart to heart and Red Devil decides not to take Blaze's deal. The end.

As for the "Origins & Omens" part of this book, the future images we see from Scar don't do anything to lift my spirits. Yay, Wonder Girl and Blue Beetle are going to make out! Please.....

This comic series is horrible. I can't put it any more bluntly than that. This current Teen Titans series reminds me alot of "Old Yeller". As much as it breaks my heart, I think it's time to take this series out back and shoot it... For a score, I'll go with a 2 out of 10. I couldn't wait to finish reading this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment