Saturday, May 23, 2009

Battle for the Cowl: The Network #1

Well, this was laying at the top of my comic pile, so I guess I'll give it a read... For the record, this is written by Fabian Nicieza.

-Basically this comic detailed Oracle organizing the various costumed crimefighters in Gotham City. With Bats gone and presumed dead, Oracle seems to be the point-woman when it comes to dealing with crime in Gotham. This issue showed how, with the help of Huntress, Misfit, Batgirl, Manhunter, Wildcat and Ragman, Oracle is able to free 3 hostages from Dr. Hugo Strange. Yep, that's it.

How's that for a quick review! I did like this comic, but since it's getting late, this review gets the shortform treatment. This comic actually read like an issue of Birds of Prey, which is a good thing, since I used to really enjoy Birds. One negative thing this comic did was really cause me to question whether Batman was all that important to Gotham City. I know the knee jerk reaction is to say that Gotham needs Batman, but Oracle seems to have things in some semblance of control with Bats out of the picture. To be honest, things seem to be running rather smoothly with Babs organizing everything. For a score, I'll give this comic an 8 out of 10. If you're a fan of any one of the characters I listed above, or if like me you miss the Birds of Prey comic, then this comic is well worth a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment