Friday, June 26, 2009

Batman and Robin #1

Alright, it's finally time for me to take a look at this bad boy. Although I haven't read any spoilers, and I don't know what happens, I have heard that many people haven't exactly been pleased with this book. Just so you know, full disclosure and all, I'm quite the fan of Dick Grayson, but I loathe Damien Wayne passionately. So don't be overly surprised if this review occasionally veers off topic and heads into a rant against Damien. I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just warning in advance that it COULD happen.

Before I go any farther, I want to give some major props to DC with regards to the price of this comic book. The cover price for this issue is $2.99. If this comic was released by Marvel, I guarantee the cover price would be AT LEAST $3.99. Thank you DC for not pulling Marvel's inflated prices garbage. This issue is written by the completely insane(or awesomely brilliant depending on your opinion)Grant Morrison.

-Good luck following this review! This comic begins with Batman and Robin catching a drug dealer named Toad(who looks like a toad). Batman and Robin discover that the Toad was paid in dominoes(huh?)that he's working for somebody named Pyg(wha?)and that he speaks European circus slang, whatever the hell THAT means!

-After dropping Toad off at the police station, Dick, Damien and Alfred lock up Wayne Manor and head to Batman's new base of operation, Wayne Tower. The new Dynamic Duo heads out after dinner to figure out what exactly was going on with that weird Toad guy and who Pyg is.

-A guy with a flaming head attacks the station house where Toad was being held, and Pyg, along with a bunch of cronies with creepy doll masks covering their faces, attack one of the men who was working with Toad prior to Toad's capture. This comic ends with Pyg affixing a creepy doll mask on the face of the man who was working with Toad.

What the hell??? Jeez, what can I even say here? This was... Weird. I'm going to chalk up the fact that I really didn't know what the hell was happening here to the fact that this was the first part of this storyline, and things still need to evolve somemore. Ah Grant Morrison. When it comes to Grant's work, it's either brilliant or insane. There really isn't any middle ground. You either love Grant's work or you hate it. Period. I tend to like Grant's work more than I hate it, but if I'm going to be honest here, I really haven't enjoyed his Batman run thus far. I still have high hopes that Grant will wow me, but with each passing issue, that seems less and less likely. For a score, I'll give this comic a 6 1/2 out of 10. The stuff that made sense I enjoyed. Unfortunately, there was little here that made sense!

2 comments:

  1. Hey X-Man,

    I'm really glad you finally got a chance to read this comic! This was actually my first "Book of the Week" and my first review over at my blog way back at the beginning of the month.

    You mentioned that a lot of fans were really disappointed with this first issue, but I thought it was awesome. I'm really looking forward to issue number two next week!

    Also, just out of curiosity, are you planning on volunteering for acomicbookblog.com? If so, I was looking for someone to cover the Flash with me. Perhaps you're interested?

    RR
    TheFanboyFiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just thought this whole comic was weird... Pyg, Toad, European circus slang, dominoes!?! I'm looking forward to the next issue too, just to see where Grant is going with all of this!

    I was thinking about volunteering at acomicbookblog.com, but as you can see by how long it took me to finally get my hands on a copy of this comic, I doubt I could submit a review in a timely manner!

    ReplyDelete