Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New Avengers #54

This is the final BENDIS written comic I'll be reading tonight. So far, I've got to admit that I've been enjoying my mini BENDIS-athon. I know, it's crazy!!! I'm confident that this issue will herald the return of the evil DREAD LORD BENDIS, whose stories regularly drive me to the brink of madness.

-Brother Voodoo(who is inexplicably the new Sorcerer Supreme), Dr. Strange and Daimon Hellstrom decide to join forces to exercise the spirit that has taken possession of the Hood. Oh, and the New Avengers are there as well. The three sorcerers combine powers and reveal that it is Dormammu behind the possession of the Hood. After trapping Dormammu in a magical circle the trio is able to force him to return to his home, the Dark Dimension.

-The Avengers then clean up the mess, and hand the Hood and his accomplice Madame Masque over to the authorities. Before leaving, Hawkeye(or Ronin if you prefer)gets on camera and tells the world that he's sure Osborn will allow Masque and Hood to slip through the cracks and remain free, stating that Hood and Masque are secretly working for Osborn.

-This issue ends with Hawkeye returning home and catching the tail end of Osborn's LOOOONG interview from Dark Avengers #5. Clint is shocked that the media seems to be taking Osborn's side of the story, so Clint decides the only way left to stop Osborn and his Dark Reign is to kill Osborn... WHAT?!?!?

Wait, Clint Barton, the man who wouldn't forgive his own wife when she allowed her rapist to fall to his death is advocating murder? No, no, no... No frigging way. I'm not going to go too crazy yet, let's just say Clint was so upset he wasn't thinking about what he was saying. Yeah, that must be it, because Clinton Francis Barton DOES NOT KILL.

I still don't get/like the fact that Brother Voodoo is the new Sorcerer Supreme, but I think I made my feelings on that subject very well known during my review of New Avengers #53, so I'm not going to get into that again. This was a mediocre comic that I doubt I'll even remember come tomorrow morning. For a score, I'll go with a 5 out of 10.

2 comments:

  1. This arc as a whole hasnt been great has it. Hopefully it''ll get better soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, the only way this comic can really improve is if we get some real Avengers on this team. Wolverine, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, etc. will never be Avengers in my eyes. Oh yeah, and Clint Barton should be dressed like Hawkeye, not Ronin!

    ReplyDelete