Tuesday, July 14, 2009

War of Kings #5(of 6)

I'm not really sure about anybody else, but I've really been enjoying this mini-series. Of course I'm a huge fan of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's writing, so I had a feeling going in that this had the potential to be pretty good. So far I'd peg War of Kings better than Annihilation: Conquest, but not quite as great as the original Annihilation was. However, after the events of last issue, I get the feeling by the time this mini-series ends, it may just give Annihilation a real run for its money as the best Marvel intergalactic x-over ever.

-With the death of longtime Shi'ar Empress, Lilandra, the Inhumans decide that they have to make one final play to defeat Vulcan and his forces. Black Bolt orders Attilan launched towards the Shi'ar home galaxy.

-Vulcan on the other hand rejoices at the news of Lilandra's assassination, gloating to his men about her finally being out of his hair. One of Vulcan's advisers tells the mad emperor that Chandilar(the Shi'ar homeworld)has erupted in civil war, with pro-Vulcan forces battling pro-Lilandra forces on the streets. The advisor tells Vulcan he won't be able to wage war against the Kree/Inhumans as well as his own dissatisfied subjects, and Vulcan orders the advisor executed. HA! I love Emperor Vulcan! The Darkhawk, Raptor, tells Vulcan that he'll deal with the unrest on Chandilar, but he orders Vulcan to stay put.

-Vulcan, being totally insane, doesn't like taking orders from anybody, and upon learning of the launch of Attilan, he orders his main fleet to meet the Inhumans, with Vulcan himself leading the charge.

-Crystal and her husband Ronan meet the rest of the Inhuman royal family in the throne room of Attilan, and she demands to know why they were in flight. Medusa explains that they intend on launching a bomb filled with Terrigen Mists and powered by Black Bolts voice directly into the heart of the Shi'ar star system. Medusa and Black Bolt figure that exposure to the Mists will transform the Shi'ar into fellow Inhumans and thus stop the war. Crystal begs Black Bolt to reconsider, and Ronan also asks Black Bolt not to take this action, since the Kree are unable to be transmuted by the Mists, and therefore would become an underclass in Inhuman society. Black Bolt agrees to think upon Crystal and Ronan's pleas, but makes no promises.

-Back on Chandilar, Gladiator and the Starjammers are leading the push by the pro-Lilandra forces, with Gladiator being especially hurt by Lilandra's death. Gladiator cuts through most the evil Chancellor Araki's Death Commando's and winds up killing the corrupt old man.

-As Attilan enters Shi'ar airspace, Black Bolt launches the bomb to the dismay of Ronan and the outright horror of Crystal. After the bomb takes flight, Medusa is told that Black Bolt has to remain with the bomb until it detonates, meaning he'll wind up dying once he powers the device. Medusa pleads with Back Bolt to come back and to find another way, but he simply says "Goodbye" and the bomb begins to power-up. However, before the bomb can detonate, Vulcan busts through the casing, coming face to face with Black Bolt, and ending this wonderful comic.

Oh baby was this great! This comic had me from cover to cover. Everything was just so brilliantly done. With the final issue of this mini-series containing the epic battle between Vulcan and Black Bolt(FINALLY!)it should go without saying that I can't wait for the release of that comic! Personally, I'm hoping Vulcan wipes the floor with Black Bolt and conquers the Inhuman/Kree empire. I hate the Inhumans! With that said though, I get the feeling Vulcan is going to be the one who winds up kicking the bucket as this mini-series comes to an end. I really hope that isn't the case, but I'm not really sure how much more can be done with Vulcan as the leader of the Shi'ar empire... I don't believe the Inhumans are going to use the bomb and transform everyone into Inhumans either though. So, what that basically means is that I have NO idea as to how this mini is going to end! And you know what? I couldn't be happier! I'm going to sit back and enjoy whatever Dan and Andy throw at me to conclude this series. For a score, I'll go with a 10 out of 10. Yes, the vaunted perfect score. Remember what I said in the intro about this series not quite reaching the levels of awesomeness the original Annihilation obtained? After this issue, I think War of Kings has reached that level!

2 comments:

  1. 10 out of 10! Wow. I didnt read your review fully as I have this issue but havent got round to reading it yet, so didnt want it spoiled. Ill make sure I read it tonight now and check back on your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be very interested in what you thought about this comic Matthew. I've always been a big fan of the Marvel cosmos(I was a HUGE fan of the Silver Sufer as a kid), and Dan and Andy are really doing a brilliant job with all the various alien races running around in the Marvel Universe. I've always been a fan of the Kree, and I can't get enough of Vulcan. For me this series is like comic book nirvana!

    ReplyDelete