Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Quick Look at Blackest Night: Tales of the Corps #3(of 3)

This issue is written by Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi.

-The first story in this book is about Kilowog when he was a rookie Lantern. While he was first learning how to ring-sling, his instructor, Lantern Ermey, received a distress call and brought Kilowog and the rest of the rookie Lanterns to help battle some Qwardians. Ermey was killed, but Kilowg displayed the fighting ability he would go on to be renown for.

-Next up is a tale about Green Lantern Arisia prior to her receiving her ring. She was very close with her father, a Green Lantern, whose footsteps she desperately wanted to follow in. When her father perished, she was heartbroken, not just because she had lost her beloved father, but also because the GL ring passed her over and choose her uncle to replace her father in the Corps. Eventually her uncle died and she finally attained her heart's desire, the GL ring and the ability to follow in the father's footsteps.

-After that we get the director's cut for Blackest Night #0, which is great for me since I never read BN #0, but lousy for people who actually read BN #0!

I really didn't enjoy this comic that much. It profiled two characters who most GL fans already know about and it reprinted a comic that was originally a freebie! Like I said earlier, I'm glad BN #0 was reprinted in this comic since I was unable to secure a copy of that comic previously, but if I had gotten that comic when it first came out, I'd have been pissed that I paid $3.99 for a comic that included only two new short stories and a reprint of a free comic book giveaway! Selling a comic book like this for $3.99 even though it was short on new content is the sort of thing I expect from Marvel, not DC. For a score, I'll give this comic a 5 out of 10.And now you know what "Poozer" means!

2 comments:

  1. The Tales of the Corps issues seem like a lot of fluff. But I'm gonna buy em and read em anyway, because I want so badly to enjoy them. Ah, comic book denial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I'm sure Robert can attest to Kello, you aren't missing much if you don't buy the "Tales of the Corps" stuff. It has literally nothing to do with the main Blackest Night story. With you being a GL fan though, you may really enjoy them. They were OK, but IMO not worth the inflated cover price. Hopefully if you get them you'll enjoy them more than I did.

    ReplyDelete