Sunday, August 16, 2009

The week in review(or what other comics have I been reading?)

Anybody who has checked out my blog can probably tell that I like comic books. I mean, I REALLY like comic books. Since I started this blog up last October, I've posted 100's of reviews, which makes sense seeing as that I've read thousands of comics since this blog got underway. However, I usually only review new comics here, that would be comic books that have come out in the last 6 months or so, meaning that my opinions on the various back issues I read aren't being voiced... That is tantamount to blasphemy! ;-) Seriously though, I figure once a week I'll do a quick write up on the older comic books I read just for the heck of it. Hopefully talking about older comics may open up a dialogue with those of you who may have read these books and want to chime in with what you thought. Or maybe something I've read but you haven't may catch your eye. Without further ado, here's the rest of what I've read this past week.

Wanted TPB: Collecting Wanted 1-6 + Wanted Dossier. Written by Mark Millar with art by JG Jones. Top Cow Comics.
Synopsis: A loser(Wesley Gibson)learns that his absentee father was a member of a cartel of super-villains who had succeeded in defeating every super-hero on the planet. The cartel of villains then hid their existence from the public and proceeded to rule the Earth clandestinely. After the death of his father, Wesley is brought into his father's world of crime, villainy and madness, where he has to decide whether he will take his father's place in the cartel or return to his boring, dead-end life.
Pros: The story was top-notch and the artwork was fantastic. The villains all felt authentic and real. They acted and spoke exactly how you would envision "real" super-villains to. I honestly didn't see the twist at the end of issue #5 coming at all.
Cons: There really wasn't a single likable character in the entire series. I didn't like anybody! The ease in which Wesley was able to enact his revenge in issue #5 sort of annoyed me. The story was awfully similar to "Old Man Logan"(yes I know Wanted came out before OML but still).
Bottom Line: This was a really good story for a mature reader. I say mature reader because there was WAY more violence and profanity in this comic then you'd find in your average Marvel or DC comic book. If you're a fan of Mark Millar and want to see what he can do without the shackles of a big comic book company on him, I'd easily recommend this comic book. However, if you are easily offended by crude language, sex and violence, this definitely isn't the comic book for you.

Batman: Year One TPB: collects Batman 404-407. Written by Frank Miller with art by David Mazzucchelli. DC Comics
Synopsis: Bruce Wayne has spent the past 18 years of his life honing his mind and body into the perfect weapon. He returns to Gotham City on a mission, a mission to clean up the rampant crime and corruption that has turned Gotham into a living hell. The question is where does he start and how can he strike fear into Gotham's criminal underbelly?
Pros: Well, everything! I enjoyed every aspect of this comic, from Bruce's initial failed attempts at crime fighting to Gotham City newbie Jim Gordon trying to work in the thoroughly corrupt Gotham Police department. The artwork perfectly fit the mood of Gotham and the story was stellar.
Cons: I hated Gordon's extramarital affair, mainly because it was never adequately explained. Young Batman's strength levels seemed a bit excessive. The guy was knocking trees down and smashing marble pillars... Bruce isn't THAT strong!
Bottom Line: I'd recommend this comic to any Batman fan and/or to anybody who is a fan of the old 1980's style of comic book writing or of Frank Miller. I thought this comic was great.

The Outsiders#1-4(Nov. 1993-Feb. 1994). Written by Mike Barr with art by Paul Pelletier. DC Comics.
Synopsis(so far): Some evil vampire dude has taken over Geo-Force's home country of Markovia and framed Geo-Force and his Outsider buddies for a whole slew of crimes. Plus he "killed" Outsider member Looker. Needless to say the Outsiders aren't going to take this laying down and they mount an attack on the vampire's stronghold, Castle Markov.
Pros: Well, there are vampires, that's always a good thing. Each issue has become progressively better.
Cons: Reading this series was like trying to learn how to swim in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean! I didn't know who half the members of the team were or what they could do. Mike probably could have made this series a bit more accessible to newbies(like myself!).
Bottom Line: I think I should read a few more issues before I decide to recommend this comic or not.

Crisis on Infinite Earths #1-3. Written by Marv Wolfman with art by George Perez. DC Comics.
Synopsis(so far): A mysterious wave of anti-matter is moving across the multiverse, destroying entire dimensions. To battle this wave of nothingness, the Monitor and his servant, the Harbinger, has amassed a rather eclectic group of heroes and villains. However, it seems the master of the anti-matter has managed to take mental control of the Harbinger and is planning on using her against the Monitor.
Pros: So far the story has been pretty easy to follow, which has surprised the hell out of me! The story has a big event feel to it, which makes everything that happens seem really important. And George's artwork is brilliant(as usual).
Cons: Some of the characters the Monitor has chosen to save the multiverse are pretty suspect... Plus, I HATE talking monkeys!
Bottom Line: Until I finish this series up, it wouldn't be fair to give it thumbs up or thumbs down. Next week I'll give my final verdict.

So there you have it. Don't hesitate to drop me a line, I love to read comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment