Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Dark Avengers #8

Writer: Matt Fraction, Pencils: Luke Ross.

What Happened: This issue begins with Moonstar trying to make a deal with Hela. From there we watch as the Dark X-Men easily defeat Simon Trask(it was so easy it wasn't even shown!). From there they spend the next several days building up goodwill with the people of San Fransisco by dealing with all sorts of threats. All the while, Cyclops and his X-Men sit back and do nothing, as Scott seems to be waiting for Beast's science team to accomplish something under the waters of San Fran before making his move. Dark Beast and Osborn finally show the members of the Dark X-Men exactly what the Omega Machine does. Cloak and Dagger both seem very unnerved by the machine, but they realize they're stuck on the Dark X-Men for the time being. X-Force break into to the secret facility of the Dark X-Men and free all of the mutants Dark Beast had been experimenting on. Dark Beast sounds the alarm and Weapon Omega responds, however, the two are easily defeated by X-Force. The rest of the Dark X-Men respond to the scene and Emma and Namor betray the rest of the team, rejoining the X-Men in the process. Cyclops then raises his base in San Fran out of the water and cedes from the United States...... Yes, really. This issue ends with Osborn FINALLY having had enough of Cyclops, sending the combined forces of the Dark X-Men and Avengers after Cyclops and his X-Men.

What I thought: What did I think??? You don't want to know! Wait, you've read this far, so I guess you do. Well, OK, here goes, but be warned, it's not going to be pretty. I absolutely HATED this issue!!! Where do I begin... First off, let's start with Emma. I hate her. Always have, always will. I hated her in the Hellfire Club, I hated her as the headmistress of Generation X, I hated her when she was cheating with Scott behind Jean Grey's back, and I hate her now. I was really hoping this x-over was going to finally break up the unholy combination that is Scott and Emma, but alas, Emma is right back at Scott's side by the end of this issue. Dammit! Then there's Scott Summers, possibly the most unlikable character in comic books today. What the hell happened to the Scott Summers I grew up a huge fan of? I guess Matt Fraction is deliberately trying to make Scott as unlikable as possible... I don't know why, but just read any X-comic over the past 2-3 years and you'll understand what I'm talking about. And then the coup de grace, Scott lifting the entire island the X-Men were living on into the air and announcing that since he was no longer wanted in the United States he would leave... OK, I'm fine with that, but if you're going to leave, you can't take a part of San Fransisco with you!!! I've never been a big fan of Norman Osborn, but I know I'll be hoping that he marches his forces right onto X-Island(are you kidding me???)and kicks Scott's ass back to the 1990's.

Score: 4 1/2 out of 10.Go Norman go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment