Sunday, October 25, 2009

Post #1,000!!!!!!

Well, I did it. This is the one-thousandth post I've authored for this blog. 1,000 posts... Wow. I REALLY don't have a life! All kidding aside, I'm actually VERY proud that I've managed to get to 1,000 posts. When I first started this blog, I didn't think it was going to last 1 month, instead I'm still going 12 months and 1,00 posts later. Sweet. Now the question is what exactly should this post be about? I mean, usually in comic books, milestone numbers(#25, 50, 75 and 100)contain special stories. X-Men #25 gave us Magneto ripping the adamantium out of Wolverine, Batman #500 had Azrael-Batman defeating Bane, and Green Arrow/Black Canary #25 had... Well, let's skip that one! So what special thing should I do for post #1,000? Hmm, nothing is really coming to mind. Ah I know, I'll list a few of my favorite comic book related things. These are the things/people/characters/events that have turned me from a mild-mannered geek into a ranting, raving comic book machine!

The Starman series by James Robinson: Probably the best comic book series I've ever read. It should be mandatory for every comic book fan to read the full Starman run. The detail James put into not only Jack Knight(the main character)but the supporting cast is truly a thing of beauty. This is probably the series I'd be most hesitant to ever part with.

Grant Morrison's New X-Men run: If it wasn't for Grant Morrison's New X-Men run, there wouldn't even be an X-Man's Comic Blog! You see, I had quit reading comic books for a good 6 years. It was my spur of the moment purchase of New X-Men #132 that turned me back on to comic books in a BIG way. Grant's entire New X-Men run was very controversial, but wonderfully done.

Peter David: Peter is probably my all-time favorite writer. I'm sure some of you are thinking,"But I thought Geoff Johns was your favorite writer?". Yes, Geoff is my current favorite writer, but Peter is my ALL-TIME favorite. There is a distinction there. I don't think I've ever read a comic written by Peter that I can honestly say I didn't enjoy on some level. If it wasn't for Peter, there's a very real chance that I never would have started reading DC Comics. It was Peter's work on Young Justice that opened my eyes to the DCU, so for that I'm infinitely appreciative.

X-Men #25: I'm sorry, but Magneto tearing the adamantium off of Wolverine's bones and Prof. X then proceeding to mindwipe Mags is, was and always will be one of my favorite comic book moments. Nuff said.

The Age of Apocalypse Saga: Easily the greatest(and most ambitious)crossover ever done by any comic book company ever. EVER! The story was perfect, the issues almost universally tied into each other seamlessly, the artwork was consistantly beautiful and of course the Age of Apocalypse introduced my all-time favorite character, X-Man, Nate Grey. Along with Starman, the Age of Apocalypse is something every comic book fan should be required to read.

DC Universe: Last Will and Testament: If you have read this comic book and didn't love Brad Meltzer's writing and Adam Kubert's art then there must be something wrong with you! This is easily one of my favorite one-shots. The battle between Geo-Force and Deathstroke is the very definition of the word "epic".

Impulse's picture thought bubbles: This is just one of those quirky little things that I used to really get a kick out of. I don't know why Impulse thought exclusively in picture, but that one little touch is probably what endeared Bart Allen to me the most. Bart's thoughts always manage to put a smile on my face.

Hal Jordan and Sinestro's brawl from Green Lantern #25: Yeah, I'm sure I've read better fight scenes, but Hal and Sinestro's fight really sticks with me due to the sheer brutality of it. It wasn't a huge super-power blowout, there weren't explosions all over the place or a damsel in distress to save, it was just Hal and Sinestro, both stripped of their powers beating the hell out of each other until one man could no longer continue. Plain, simple and brilliant.

X-Men Legends 2 for the PSP: This is the only video game where my favorite character, Nate Grey, is playable. Although this game came out 4 years ago, I'll still occasionally fire it up, just for the sheer pleasure of taking on Apocalypse with only Nate in my party.

Stan Lee: The guy practically created the entire Marvel Universe single-handedly! What more needs to be said? Stan is probably the most important figure in the history of comic books. Yeah, I know, there were other iconic comic book creators, but to me, none can come close to approaching the body of work put forth by The Man.

I think I'll stop here at 10. Is this my definitive list of favorite things? No, of course not, these are the first 10 things that jumped into my head. I'm sure I'm missing a load of stuff, but hey, I can always save those other things for post #2,000! As always, thanks for reading and thanks for commenting, you guys are the reason I keep this blog going. Long Live The Legion!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, 1000 Posts?! That's amazing dude, Long Live the legion and Long Live X-Man's Comic Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1,000 posts? Geez, pace yourself X-Mana, or else the line between reality and blogging will begin to blur. Do you dream about posting things? Do you even sleep?!

    Ok, I'm just kidding. But 1,000 is a crazy feat. I'm not even sure what to say, other than the the things that you mentioned as your favorites are all older series (except for last will and testament). Does this mean you don't foresee some of the things you're reading now becoming your favorites, or is it too soon to tell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words Jason.

    Sleep Kello? What's that? It's funny you mention sleep, because I actually intended to call it a night like 2 hours ago, but here I am, still blogging!

    Huh, you know, I didn't even realize the fact that most of my favorite things were older series'. I think Blackest Night has the potential to make this list down the road, but it's definitely too early to tell yet. I've read some good comic books lately, but I can't say I've read something that was really, really special. Last Will and Testament just FELT special. Once I put that comic down after reading it, I just knew I had read something special.

    I was hoping Flash Rebirth, Cry for Justice or Cap: Reborn would be one of those rare special series, but alas, none of them have managed to reach that lofty plataeu. They've all been good in their own ways, but not classic. At least not to me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on reaching such an epic milestone, X-Man! You even managed to beat "Action Comics" in the race to 1,000! Wow, I hope that my blog can reach 1,000 posts someday, but you never know with all those game-changing Crises. Anyway, I always enjoy reading your blog, and I'm extremely happy to see that "Last Will and Testament" found a place in your milestone post. We've discussed it before, but it's definitely one of the greatest one-shot superhero stories in the last five years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Robert. I was actually thinking the same thing about Action Comics!

    Forget the past 5 years, I think Last Will and Testament was one of the best one-shots ever!

    ReplyDelete