Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Quick Look at New Mutants #4

Writer: Zeb Well, Pencils: Diogenes Neves.

What Happened: Sam sends Dani away from the battle, and the three remaining New Mutants battle Legion, who now is able to use any mutant power he wants. Legion cuts through the team, and nearly kills Sam, if not for the timely intervention of Dani. While that's going on, Magik manages to find Karma and David Haller locked away in Legion's subconscious. David retakes control of his mind and the X-Men arrive on the scene to mindwipe the folks who witnessed the battle and take custody of Legion.

What I thought: This was possibly the worst opening story line I've ever read from any comic book. I really wanted to enjoy this series, I was a huge fan of the old New Mutants/X-Force books, hell, the original X-Force is one of my all-time favorite X-titles. This series is just terrible. The characterizations are all wrong, what happened to Sam's accent? Since when does he run around swearing? Why was Legion able to touch Sam through his blast field when Gladiator, one of the most powerful beings in the universe could not? Why is Legion even alive? Since when can Legion access dozens of different mutant powers? I can honestly say that this was definitely the last issue of this series I'll be picking up, at least until there is a change of writers, because Zeb has absolutely NO idea as to who these characters are or what they've done in the past.

Score: 2 out of 10.Hey look, now Legion is a speedster! What's next, Cyclops suddenly becomes a telepath? Maybe Wolverine can develop pyrokinesis... Unbelievable...

2 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty terrible. I bought the first 2 issues and thought they were really bad, especially issue 2. I might check this series out again on the necrosha storyline but i'm not holding my breath for anything great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It WAS bad, I'm done with this series until there is a writing change. I also probably won't be buying the Necrosha storyline either, I'm sick and tired of being burned by bad X-Men events. Unless I hear really great things about Necrosha, I'll stick with Blackest Night.

    ReplyDelete