Monday, October 19, 2009

A Quick Rant about Dark Reign: The List: Avengers #1

Writer: BENDIS. Pencils: Marko Djurdjevic.

What Happened: Norman Osborn decides he wants to use his power to fix what he sees is wrong with the world, so he makes a list and begins to plan on how to implement it. Clint Barton decides he's going to kill Osborn because Osborn said bad things about him on TV and because the mutants are living on an island off the coast of California. Yeah... The Avengers try to talk Clint out of his plans, but Clint is past reasoning. Finally Mockingbird tells him she'll go with him, even though she doesn't like the idea. After a roll in the hay, Clint waits until Mock is asleep before heading off alone to kill Osborn. He breaks into Avengers Tower and dispatches with most of the Dark Avengers before he comes face to face with Osborn. Before Clint can kill Osborn, Ares knocks Clint out and this comic(MERCIFULLY!!!!!!!)ends.

What I thought: This was one of the worst comic books I've read in a LOOOONG time. I honestly can't believe I actually read this... When the HELL did Clint Barton become a homicidal maniac? Really, I'd seriously like to know. I've been an Avengers fan since I was 11 years old, and I can safely say that I have NEVER seen an Avenger this horribly mischaracterized. Jesus Christ, Clint left his wife when she allowed the man who raped her(repeatedly)to fall to his death!!! That's how strongly he felt about the Avengers "no killing" policy! I'm supposed to buy this garbage? Osborn creating his own band of Avengers is what pushes Clint over the edge??? Really!?!? Clint has always been steadfast in his belief that Avengers don't kill. And yet, Clint has to be told this fact by Spider-Man, who shouldn't even be on the goddamn team!!! This comic is definitely the current front runner for the title of worst comic book of the year, by a WIDE margin.

Score: 1 out of 10. I'd have given this comic a 0, but the artwork was much better than this awful comic deserved.ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment