Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Superman #692

Writer: James Robinson, Pencils: Fernando Dagnino.

What Happened: This issue gives us the aftermath to the “Codename: Patriot” storyline, with Metropolis in near ruins with its sewer systems destroyed, and no fresh water available. The JSA and a few other heroes stop by to help Guardian get the sewers up and running again, but apparently Gen. Lane used stolen nanites from Steel to make it so that nobody would be able to fix the sewer system, superpowers or not. With Mon-El presumed dead at the hands of Supergirl, Morgan Edge(as per the orders of Gen. Lane) is trying to whip Metropolis into a fit of anti-Kryptonian rage. Guardian and his Science Police are doing what they can to maintain order in the increasingly desperate city. Meanwhile, Zatara has been captured by Gen. Lane's associate, Mirabai(huh?), and she plans on forcing him to work for her. Guardian reveals to the SP that Jon Kent and Mon-El were one and the same, which shocks the SP, especially Billi Harper, Mon's partner. Billi approaches Guardian and Guardian reveals that he knows he's related to Billi and the two wind up bonding. This issue ends with Codename Assassin and Gen. Lane checking on the latest captive of Project 7734, Mon-El, who is being kept immobile in a stasis tube.

What I thought: Eh, this comic was OK I guess. Nothing really spectacular happened here, this was basically an issue to deal with the fallout from Codename: Patriot. I'm guessing I missed the comic where Zatara gets captured(possibly the Superman Annual?), when I place my next comic order, I'll have to see if I can figure out what I missed. I was a bit bothered that Guardian outed Mon's identity so readily... I get Guardian's explanation(Mon's dead, so why hide it), but jeez, people come back to life all the time in the DCU! At least wait a few weeks to make sure he's really dead before you out the guy!

Score: 6 1/2 out of 10.If I was floating in a tube full of green water only wearing a pair of shorts, I'd be pissed too!

No comments:

Post a Comment