Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thunderbolts #143

Thunderbolts #143: Writer: Jeff Parker. Pencils: Miguel Sepulveda.
Last Issue: 7 1/2 out of 10.

Review: We kick things off here with Norman Osborn(who is being beaten by Tony Stark during Siege #3)calling to the Thunderbolts to see if they had acquired Odin's spear yet. Nuke responds affirmatively, and begins to head towards Osborn's location with the intention of turning the battle around. However, before Nuke can reach Osborn, fellow T-Bolt, Paladin stops him and takes the spear away, not wanting to see a maniac like Osborn wielding such a powerful weapon. Before Paladin can escape, T-Bolt Grizzly attacks him and tries to take the spear to Osborn, but HE is then stopped by Antman, who manages to knock down Grizzly. Mr. X then steps in and takes the spear for himself now, but he is opposed by the Mighty Avengers, who he is able to handle(thanks to the power of the spear), until the timely arrival of Quicksilver. X is unable to make contact with the speedster, and Quicksilver manages to break both of X's arms at super-speed with a lead pipe, obviously disarming him. The Mighty Avengers then concentrate their efforts on Grizzly and the Ghost(that sounds like a really sorry cartoon actually), and after a brief battle, take them down as well. During that battle though, Paladin and Antman had managed to sneak away with the spear and hide from the sight of the Mighty Avengers. Not being able to locate the spear, the Mighty Avengers head towards the final battle of Siege, while Paladin takes possession of the spear and him and Antman go their own separate ways. This issue ends during the aftermath of the not yet released Siege #4, with Luke Cage telling his wife that he was now going to be the leader of the all new T-Bolts.

What I Thought: Eh, this comic was OK I guess. It pretty much dealt with Osborn's Thunderbolts imploding from within, but since I never really had the same emotional connection to this set of T-Bolts that I had with the original team, it didn't do much for me. Speaking of not doing much for me, Luke Cage as the leader of the new T-Bolts? Umm, no thanks. I don't know when Luke went from street hero to well-respected leader of super-heroes(I guess about the same time Spider-Man did...), but I hate Luke in this role. I miss the old Heroes for Hire Luke Cage, but I guess those days are long gone... Regardless of my slight trepidation, I will be picking up at least the first storyline of the new T-Bolts, and then I'll take it from there.

Score: 6 1/2 out of 10.Further proof that super-speed is an awesome power to have.

2 comments:

  1. Super speed is definitely the power I would choose for myself. I'm not a huge fan of Luke Cage, but the rather eclectic mix of new Thunderbolts they have assembled looks too interesting to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well as Flash fans we realize just how awesome super-speed can be, but I've heard SO many people say things like, "What good is it to run really fast?" For some reason super-speed is looked at as some sort of loser power.

    Yeah, I'll be buying that comic not so much for Luke, but for the strange mix of villains they have there. Plus I think the Juggernaut is on that team, and I'm a sucker for ol' Juggy!

    ReplyDelete