Friday, July 9, 2010

X-Men #1

X-Men #1: Writer: Victor Gischler. Pencils: Paco Medina.

Review: This series begins with a vampire strolling to a busy outdoor cafe in San Francisco and exploding in a mass of blood, saturating Jubilee, as well as several other civilians. Pixie, who was lunching with Jubilee, takes Jubilee back to the X-Men's headquarters and the doctors look her over. After some investigating, the X-Men realize that it was a vampire who exploded, and that somehow the vampire's blood had infected Jubilee with vampirism. Wolverine, Pixie and Archangel decide to see if they can find any more vampires, and they come across an abandoned vampire lair, full of dead bodies that had been drained of their blood. Now positive that vampires were involved, Wolvie reports back to Cyclops that Dracula was indeed in town, however, unbeknownst to Wolvie, it's not Dracula who was leading the army of vampires, but his evil son. This issue concludes with Cyclops ordering Wolvie to bring in his team so they could hold a war council to decide what should be done about the vampire problem.

What I Thought: Meh. This comic was okay, and probably better then all of the other X-books on the market today combined(except for the usually great X-Factor), but it was mainly a set-up story, and it featured all of the characters that have made me despise the X-Men so much as of late(Cyclops and to a lesser extent, Wolverine). I was hoping this title would give us a new X-team without Cyclops and Wolvie, but alas, that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Oh well... Hopefully next issue will feature less Cyclops and more vampires.

Score: 7 out of 10.Wolverine: Vampire Slayer!

6 comments:

  1. Jubilee is so becoming a vampire in the Lil Legion strip.

    I was saddened that this comic doesn't look as terrible as it sounds. I wanted something really bad to unify the fanboys hatred. I guess Brightest Day will have to do...

    Loved the picture's caption by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright! I'm already looking forward to it!

    I'm going into this series with an open mind... Since it's still in it's early stages, I'm not going to flip out and start pulling my hair out just yet. I SO want to read an X-book that I don't hate, and I'm really hoping that this is that series...

    That was one of the easiest captions I've ever come up with! My sister is like the world's biggest Buffy fan, so that caption was a given!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of on vampire overload right now, to be honest. Zombie overload too. I was reading some comments by Neil Gaiman the other day, and I agree with him that the effect of vampires and zombies being used so heavily in fiction these days is that they're no longer scary, which is what they should be. Having a team of superheroes fight vampires can only make things worse, if you ask me.

    So on that front, I have to agree with Kello in being a little let down that this issue wasn't an absolute travesty. But on the other hand, I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a total waste of your money either, X. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from Marc. What's Marvel up to now, Marvel Zombies 5? 6? And then the vampire thing... Wherever you look nowadays there's something vampire related going on... I don't know where that came from. Give it time. Before you know it vampires and zombies will be pushed aside for the next pop culture fad(talking monkeys?!)and can regain their proper place in the world of horror.

    I'm still sticking with the cautiously optimistic card when it comes to this series... I'd have to say by issue #3 or #4 I'll either be loving this series or absolutely hating it... The next issue should really help to establish which direction I'll be going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be all for a talking monkeys fad, personally. Or any talking animals in general. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA!!! Well we all know my feelings towards that!

    ReplyDelete