Saturday, September 18, 2010

Quick Thoughts on: Daken: Dark Wolverine #1

Daken: Dark Wolverine #1: Writers: Dan Way & Marjorie Liu. Pencils: Giuseppe Camuncoli.

Quick Review: This issue mainly shows Daken's part in the mysterious death of Wolverine that we have been granted snippets of in “Wolverine #1” and “Wolverine: Road to Hell #1” Daken has betrayed his father to the clandestine Red Hand all while betraying them to Mystique. Over the course of this issue Daken basically flirts, cajoles, befriends and manipulates everybody he comes in contact with, from the Human Torch to some random models, all while keeping his eyes on his ultimate goal, control over everything and everyone.

Quick Thoughts: I loved this comic. But that should come as no surprise since I absolutely love the Daken character. He's always been a manipulative bastard, and this issue spotlighted that aspect of Daken's personality flawlessly. This comic introduces Daken to any potential new readers(this IS a number one issue of a “new” series), while spelling out his agenda in this series. For Daken the end results is to create an empire similar to the one that Romulus had maintained for hundreds(thousands?)of years, and with both Wolverine and Romulus out of the way, now is his time to strike. Simple, logical for the character and intriguing. What's not to like?

Score: 10 out of 10. I tried, but I just couldn't find anything I didn't like here, thus the perfect score.My current Windows desktop background.

6 comments:

  1. I've gotta say, I never expected the idea of Wolverine having an evil bastard offspring to catch on, but it seems it really has! I haven't had much exposure to the character yet, but it seems he's here to stay and with a new #1, this seems like a pretty good place to start reading. If I go to the comic store again anytime soon I'll give it a look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. Daken is a character I was luke warm to back when he first appeared, but he has REALLY grown on me these past few years. I'd easily rank him among my top 5 Marvel characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's crazy to think of Daken as having been around for YEARS...but he really has, hasn't he? And people complain about new characters never lasting at Marvel and DC...guess they should take a look at Daken!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, after I typed out "few years" last night I actually paused because it doesn't seem like he's been around for THAT long. But yeah, he had to have first appeared in the early teens of Wolvie Origins, and since the most current issue of Wolverine would have been Origins #51 that means Daken must be at least 3 years old. And in those 3 years he's basically co-starred in Origins, had a spot on the Dark Avengers and took over the Wolverine title. Not bad for a new character!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now if only we could get Gravity as much exposure as Daken... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully Young Allies will really take off and Gravity will become the next Deadpool!

    ReplyDelete