Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Avengers Academy #5

Overall: This issue is told from the point of view of Avengers Academy member Striker, who I think has the most potential out of all the recruits. We learn that Striker takes after his mother, who was/is a media whore, and that he trying to use his time with the Academy as a springboard to stardom. To this end Striker and his mother cook up a plot in which longtime Pym enemy Whirlwind attacks Pym and the kids in the middle of New York City. Pym and his charges defeat Whirlwind, but the battle is caught on multiple cameras which forces Pym to reveal to the world that the Avengers were training the next generation of Avengers, which is exactly what Pym and the Avengers briantrust didn't want to do. This issue ends with Striker and his mother patting themselves on the back thanks to their ruse.

There was a lot of good here, although I will admit that the dialogue did kind of bug me. I mean, did Striker REALLY use the word “hooters” when talking about Jocasta's metallic bosom?? Ugh. What teenager talks like THAT? Besides some strange dialogue, I enjoyed the rest of this comic. Like I stated at the beginning of this post, I think Striker has the most potential on the team, with his troublemaker ways, scheming and plotting. It'll be interesting to see how much he can get away with before his secrets all come crashing down around him. This series continues to please, and with Christos Gage writing, I have no doubt the stories will continue to be strong.

Score: 7 1/2 out of 10.Meh, I just like the idea of Pym slapping his enemies out of the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment