Friday, October 8, 2010

Uncanny X-Force #1

Overall: Hey, it's a new X-team that features both Deadpool AND Wolverine! I'm actually surprised Marvel hasn't tried to cash in on Deadpool mania by sticking him with Wolvie sooner, but that's neither here nor there. This comic is about X-Force attempting to halt Apocalypse from being resurrected(again). The line-up for the team is actually quite good with Wolverine, Deadpool, Archangel, Psylocke and Fantomex. With the exception of Psylocke, who I don't care about one way or the other, I like all of these characters. Anyway, the team locates Apocalypse's lair, beat up a giant stone statue that was apparently serving as the Horseman War and blow up the lair for good measure, because that's how they roll. As for Apocalypse, we learn that he is currently inhabiting the body of a young boy, which is naturally going to cause all sorts of moral dilemmas for X-Force when it comes time to kill Apocalypse.

First off, I really like this team. A lot. Seeing Fantomex monthly makes me very, very happy. Rick Remender(the writer btw)is already setting up some potential friction between Archangel, Psylocke and Fantomex, plus adding DP to any team is bound to liven things up. As for the Apocalypse reveal, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Kid Apocalypse doesn't seem evil, he was sitting in a room full of toys(including a Thing toy!)waiting to be tutored by some kindly looking old woman. I normally like my Apocalypse full of evil and spewing clichéd dialogue so I'm not sure about this swerve just yet. Other than that, I really have no complaints. The story had some fight scenes, a bit of character development and the obligatory X-Force explosions. Yeah this was a set-up issue, but it was a pretty good set-up issue that has me interested in next month's issue.

Score: 7 1/2 out of 10.You had to know Fantomex would be included in the post closing picture one way or another!

No comments:

Post a Comment