Wednesday, October 26, 2011

New Comic Day! October 26th edition

It's time for a new installment of “How much money did X spend on comic books this week!” starring your most humble blog host, the magnanimous X. We have another full bag of comic books here, so let's see what I've managed to snag this week... Green Lantern: New Guardians #2, Justice League Dark #2, I, Vampire #2, Teen Titans #2, Voodoo #2, Amazing Spider-Man #672, Annihilators: Earthfall #2, Avengers Academy #20, Avengers Solo #1, Captain America and Bucky #623, Daken: Dark Wolverine #16, Daredevil #5, Deadpool #45, Incredible Hulk #1, Journey Into Mystery #630, Mighty Thor #7, New Mutants #32, Secret Avengers #18, Ultimates #3, Venom #8, Wolverine and the X-Men #1...So 19 comics? It would have been 21 comics but as you can see, I, Vampire and Teen Titans didn't show up at the shop today, so I'll be waiting on those until(hopefully) next week. That's fine though, because starting today I've begun to pare down the DC comics on my pull list, dropping Action Comics, Detective Comics, Batman: The Dark Knight, Legion Lost & Superman... And that's just for now! I still intend on dropping a few more DC comics(Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Deathstroke, Superboy and Suicide Squad also aren't safe yet) since they obviously aren't interested in keeping me as a fan. Hey, I'm MORE than happy to give Marvel more of my money as I added Incredible Hulk and Defenders today, and intend on adding Generation Hope next week. Now that the excitement of the reboot has past, DC has nothing of interest left to offer me, while Marvel keeps on rolling out event after event after event. Nowadays if I miss a Marvel comic it really feels like I'm missing out on something special, the polar opposite is true of DC. If I miss an issue it's no big deal...

Anyway, on to this week's Pick of the Litter! I'm going to go with Avengers Academy #20... Yep, that's right, the comic book that I'm MOST looking forward to reading is Avengers Academy. Not Wolverine and the X-Men(although that is a close second), not Ultimates #3, not any of DC's books, not even Cap and Bucky. That right there should tell everybody how incredible Avengers Academy is. So far I've managed to get at least one of my fellow bloggers into Avengers Academy(way to go, Alien!), and I won't rest until I've led even more comic fans to that wonderful series. As for this week's Runt, I'll go with Secret Avengers #18... I absolutely hated the last issue, why expect that to change until Rick Remender takes this title over? And that my friends, is that. As usual, I have a ton of reading to do for the week, so I should get reading. Until next time(which will be later on tonight with reviews for Wolvie and the X-Men, Avengers Academy and possibly Avengers Solo), X out!

The Random Scan of the Week!Okay, do you see the picture behind Merlyn? How the hell did he get that?! Seriously, why was there somebody snapping a picture of Speedy shooting up and Ollie reacting to it?! And how did Merlyn come in possession of said picture!?!

9 comments:

  1. I dont understand, you are droping DC titles and Fear Itself ended last week.
    and you still have 19 books this week? wow

    Hey thanks to recommend me that Avengers Academy, really good stuff
    Now I have to drop some of my DC books too.

    And for the scan of the week, I am sure that Merlyn managed to grab some comics from Earth Prime in one of those common Crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Go figure, Alien! You'd think I'd be getting LESS books, but instead I'm STILL getting nearly 20(and if Teen Titans and I, Vampire would have been there I WOULD have gotten over 20!). I guess that proves that I'll always be around that 20 number, no matter what!

    Trust me, I'm overjoyed that you tried, and more importantly liked, Avengers Academy. It's easily one of my top 5 monthly books(and we both know I get A LOT of books, so that says a lot!), so I'm glad you gave it a shot... Now if only I could convince some other people to read it(JT!!!)...

    HA! That scan with Merlyn just doesn't make sense! It just made me shake my head...

    ReplyDelete
  3. NCBD is here again, and i will be looking forward to your reviews. I am glad to see that you are dropping titles. I am going to be doing the same thing. I'm refusing to pikc up any new # 1's unless ive been really looking forward to them... I'm picking up detective 3 next week, and if nothing doing then i will be dropping that too. Anyway looking forwrd to hearing your thoughts on the titles. Especially... Avengers solo, cap and bucky, DD5, Hulk 1, and venom 8. Enjoy the reading man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comic day is here again, although it's almost over, lol. I really need to get on the ball of commenting on this post early. ^_^

    Another big week for the X Man!! Hell I can't say much, I think I walked outta the shop with quite a few issues and a Walking Dead trade. I was shocked when he handed me my pile of books. Lol. I blame Zenescope for a big release this week. Buuut anyways, I'm starting to get nervous about Team DC losing a fan, lol. That means somewhere down the line, if you pick up more Marvel and they're good reviews, I'll be in the shop with a Marvel based reading list, lol.

    However, I am starting to get into some X Men trades. Astonishing X-Men especially. But I am looking forward to quite a few reviews from you this week. Let's see: Justice League Dark, Teen Titans, Voodoo, Daken, Deadpool, Incredible Hulk, Venom and Wolverine and the X-Men. I do hope to get around and comment more this week. I let JT take the issues we share since he has to review so I'm about a week behind. But I'll be sure to make my way around this lovely blog soon enough. ^_^

    Happy reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Cap, I just couldn't rationalize buying many of these new DC comics anymore... Maybe when the Johns/Didio reign of terror ends and/or they right some of their wrongs(ie: re-killing Barry Allen and reinstating Wally West), I'll head back, but for the foreseeable future, I'll be spending probably 70-75% of my comic $ on Marvel. Let's see... Avengers: Solo is already up(I couldn't wait to read that one!) and Cap and Bucky will be the first thing I post tomorrow night.

    Walking out of the comic shop with a mess of books... You're awesome, Lisha! :D I'm pretty sure most of the DC books from this week are pretty low in my comic pile, so I'll prob have reviews for them up around Sat/Sun/Mon. The Marvel books should def be done by the weekend though. As for DC, I'm sure I'll always have a few DC books on the old pull list, but yeah, they sure have been pissing me off lately... :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!!!
    THE RANDOM SCANS KILL ME... I LOVE YOUR BLOG BTW

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad somebody else got as big a kick out of that scan as I did, C. Ley. It's just so weird! Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After reading ASM I recommend that you read Venom before since Venom sets up the scene for the last issue of Spider-Island (which I really liked).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I actually read them in the wrong order, as I read Amazing earlier today... Good old Marvel... Thanks for the attempted heads up though, Jermox.

    ReplyDelete