Sunday, October 23, 2011

Wonder Woman #2

Again, this is a series that is hanging on to my pull list by a thread. The first issue of Wonder Woman didn't bowl me over, and if I'm underwhelmed again, I'll almost definitely be dropping this series from my monthly comic haul...

Wonder Woman #2:

What Happened: Wonder Woman takes Zola and the injured Hermes to Paradise Island to rest up while she tells her mother about her Zeus related troubles. Zeus's wife, Hera sends one of her daughters, Eris(the goddess of discord and strife), to Paradise Island to deal with Zola and her unborn child, but Eris instead seems to want to talk to Wonder Woman, who she refers to as her little sister, much to Hera's anger.

The Good: The telling of Wonder Woman's origin was pretty much intact here. Eris having her way with the Amazon warriors by spreading her corrupting influence among them was fun to see. Eris potentially betraying Hera makes sense given Eris' station amongst the gods.

The Bad: I really haven't been fond of any of the designs for the Greek Gods we've gotten these first two issues... The storyline thus far is very heavily reliant on the reader having a vast knowledge of Greek Mythology, which I for one don't have. I know the main figures(Zeus, Hera, Ares, Athena, Hades, Poseidon), but once you start hitting on the more obscure ones, without saying to the reader, “This is Eris, Goddess of Strife and Discord” there's a problem.

The Verdict: I'm still on the fence when it comes to this series... I mean this issue was pretty good, but it wasn't great. And Brian Azzarello should really try to explain who these Greek Gods are, what their relationships to each other are and what motivates them. I don't want to have to do heavy-duty research just to enjoy a comic book... Will I be picking up Wonder Woman #3? Probably, but no promises.

Score: 7 1/2 out of 10.Gah, from the back Hippolyta looks JUST like Emma Frost! Horrible...

5 comments:

  1. *Whew* Glad I didn't see a 5 for this issue. Lol. And X, as much as I love Greek Mythology, I'm with you on this one. It's been some time since I've touched basis with my knowledge of Greek Gods. So sometimes i find myself looking up some folks to get a refresher. Which goes to my next point, as a reader in the reboot, you shouldn't have to look up anything when reading comics. Especially with a well known hero such as Wonder Woman. And who wants to read a issue confused on who these characters are.

    I'm hoping we get an explanation real soon. Outside of that it was a pretty cool issue. I was shocked to see Hippolyta blond, lol. Apparently she was blond way back when, which I was unaware of. But...meh it's nothing that'll turn me away from readin. I just hope it picks up the pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Which goes to my next point, as a reader in the reboot, you shouldn't have to look up anything when reading comics." I couldn't have put it better myself, Lisha. That's probably my biggest pet peeve with this series... I have to do so much research after I put it down! Can't they at least put a caption near people that says who they are! That would make reading this so much better... For me at least!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really hoping they fix this goof up. I would really hate to see my Wonder Woman buddy drop the series. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. And trust me, your Wonder Woman buddy would HATE to drop the series!

    ReplyDelete