Thursday, November 10, 2011

Grifter #3

The first review for today is the first DC comic I'll be reading this week, Grifter. The past two issues have been okay, but I'm hoping we'll move from okay to AWESOME here.

Grifter #3:

What Happened: Grifter is confronted by his military brother again and the two stand at gunpoint for a while debating who betrayed who and such. Eventually a Daemonite arrives on the scene and goes to attack Grifter, which is what Grifter was hoping for, since that would prove to his brother and hopefully the government, that he wasn't crazy and there were weird aliens pestering him. The Daemonite manages to down the helicopter that Grifter's brother arrived in, presumably killing Grifter's brother in the process. This naturally pisses Grifter off, and he attacks and manages to kill the Daemonite. With that Daemonite dead, Grifter picks up the thoughts of it's accomplice and manages to sneak up on the second Daemonite, telling it to take him back to it's base. Meanwhile, Grifter's girlfriend is captured by either the government or the Daemonites

The Good: The story, once it got going had me. The art was solid. I liked the conversation between Grifter and his brother. The fight scene between Grifter and the Daemonite was well done. The ending with Grifter heading to the Daemonite's base left me interested in reading the next issue.

The Bad: While I liked the conversation between Grifter and his brother, it went on WAY too long... The stuff with Grifter's girlfriend getting abducted didn't do anything for me since it just leaves her as the clichéd damsel in distress and/or eventual Daemonite enemy/lover of Grifter.

The Verdict: There was definitely more good than bad here. I can honestly say that I enjoyed this issue, and even if I wasn't picking this series up for my sister, it would have remained on my pull list since it passed the three issue litmus test. Granted, this issue did drag at points, but the rest of it was quite enjoyable.

Score: 8 out of 10.Yup, in case you didn't know, it's ON now!

6 comments:

  1. It looks like it's going to tie in to Green Arrow, I'm curious where it will lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, we're definitely getting a GA tie-in... I wish that wasn't the case, seeing as that I have NO interest in Ollie anymore, so hopefully his appearance goes by quickly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've read the GA issues, but they're pretty worthless. I guess I'll see how it goes, but I'm not holding out hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I've read the GA issues, but they're pretty worthless." HA! Well it sounds like I'm not missing anything with GA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mostly just subplot stuff with Q-Core. I can't even recall the main plots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA, so not only are they worthless, they're forgettable too! Now I'm doubly glad I'm not picking that series up!

    ReplyDelete