Monday, January 28, 2013

Superboy Annual #1

One more review for the night, and it's also the 2,900 post here at the blog...  That's a hell of a lot of posts!  Anyway, back to the comic at hand.  This issue is a part of the H'El on Earth storyline that I haven't been following in the least.  Let's take care of this.

Superboy Annual #1

Summary: The set-up here is that Superman and Superboy have been transported to some alien prison world thanks to H'El.  The two do a lot of bickering with each other before Superboy realizes that the prison world was sentient.  Then Supes and SB then run into two aliens who had been locked on the prison world for a very long time, and we naturally get a battle.  In the end, Superboy outsmarts the two aliens and convinces the prison world to let him and Supes back to Earth.  That about wraps this one up.

Thoughts: Well, that was pretty succinct, no?  Really, there was no reason for a more in depth review, because that's the gist of what happened here.  This comic was more or less Superman and SB getting to know each other.  I will say one thing before ending this post though...  Tom DeFalco writes the New 52 Superboy SO MUCH like the pre-reboot Superboy.  And that?  That's a good thing to me.

Score: 7 out of 10.
superboy annual #1
Supes does tend to be an annoying know-it-all at times, doesn't he?

11 comments:

  1. This wasn't too bad. I've been keeping up with H'El on Earth since it's been out and I'm enjoying it. It's been good so far, but there are a couple of not-too-good issues. This one is kinda one of them. It's not bad, but it feels like you could skip it for the crossover since nothing groundbreaking happens in it. It was still cool to see Superman and Superboy bond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, "this wasn't too bad" sums up this issue perfectly, Arw. I enjoyed the banter between Supes and SB, but you really wouldn't have missed anything had you not read this issue. It was exactly what an annual should be, just a quick, skippable story.

      Delete
  2. Yea I kinda enjoyed this issue not alot but it was ok and the art was good. The main problem I had with it was Superboy was being so sarcastic, making cracks etc and Superman just came off like a jerk at times in my opinion anyway. Like arw said it wasn't bad but at the same time it really wasn't that good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main reason I enjoyed this one was because of how Superboy was written, Astrovik! I liked that he was kind of snarky here, it made him "sound" more like the pre-New 52 SB, which is the version I became a fan of. I'd take snarky, sarcastic SB over "I am a robot..." New 52 SB any day of the week!

      Delete
    2. Lol I agree with you X, I prefer Superboy with a personality over the one we got in the beginning issues but he was just too snarky for me! Lol.

      Oh and unrelated but did you hear that the Young Justice cartoon is supposedly getting canceled? Same for the Green Lantern cartoon too.

      Delete
    3. No, I didn't hear about YJ getting canned... JT had beeen trying to get me to watch that cartoon too. I guess when I finally do watch it I'll be watching the entire series. As for GL, I haven't seen it, but I haven't heard great things about it(unlike YJ, which I was always hearing good stuff about). I wonder what they're gonna replace it with...

      Delete
    4. Holy crap really?! I thought you for sure would have been watching Young Justice because looking threw your blog you seem to really love the teen stuff plus isn't Young Justice one of your fave comic series?

      Delete
    5. Yep, like JT said below, I was turned off of the series once I heard it was Dick as Robin and Wally as Kid Flash. Like you said, Young Justice is one of my all-time favorite teen books(or any series, actually), and replacing two-thirds of the founding members left me annoyed enough to not bother watching. And yes again, JT did tell me to start watching with season 2 since Bart and Tim pop up, but I never got around to it... Ah well, I'll add it to my long list of things to watch.

      Delete
  3. SB should always have a lot of attitude,not a robot or a mini superman.i liked how kon was written also because he seemed real smart,not a follower,and he showed he was humble and cared for someone else besides himself.
    Not to mention his TTK is badass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I told him how great it was, X wouldn't watch it cause Wally and Dick were Kid Flash and Robin, and not Bart and Tim, even though they join the show on season two. But we all know how stubborn X is. :-P lol

    ReplyDelete