Wednesday, February 20, 2013

New Comic Day! February 20th edition.

Hey there all!  X here to kick off another New Comic Day!  Huzzah!!  This looks like another strong week, as there are several comics that I have huge expectations for coming out today.  Here's the books I'll be picking up a bit later...  Hellblazer #300, Nightwing #17, Red Hood and the Outlaws #17, Saga #10, Alpha #1(!), Captain America #4, Captain Marvel #10, Daredevil #23, Dark Avengers #187, Indestructible Hulk #4, Nova #1, Superior Spider-Man #4, Thor: God of Thunder #5, Ultimates #21, X-Factor #252.  So yeah, a big 15 book week for yours truly.  I should have 3 comics up for review come Thursday evening, and yes, one of those books will definitely be Alpha #1.  Because Alpha rules.  Besides Thursday, as always, I'll have reviews up on Saturday and Monday too.  And now it's time for me to hand things off to The Man, The Myth, The Legend...  Yes, it's JT time!  X out.

Hey everybody! (Hi Dr. Nick!) JT here after an awesome intro by my ol' pal X, thanks mi amigo. Now, like X mentioned, this is actually a pretty big week for comics, so let's see what I'm picking up. My comic haul consists of Green Lantern #17, Justice League #17, Nightwing #17, Red Hood and the Outlaws #17, Saga #10, Alpha: Big Time #1 (ALPHAAAA!!!!!!), Captain America #4, Indestructible Hulk #4, Morbius The Living Vampire #2, Superior Spider-Man #4, and Thor: God of Thunder #5. So with a total of 11 (REALLY?!) books for me, I plan on reviewing Superior Spider-Man, Red Hood and The Outlaws #17 (I'm shocked too...) and Green Lantern #17. So expect those on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday, and until next time, this is JT, signing off!

13 comments:

  1. Cool, you guys are getting a lot of the books I'm on the fence for. Specifically: Morbius, Alpha, Nova, and Captain Marvel. Look forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey TRobb, just do ya know, I enjoyed Morbius, I liked the first issue more but this one was solid, I'd probably have given it a 7.5 or an 8 if i reviewed it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks man. Yeah, I'm hearing positive buzz about Morbius in general. I always liked the character (back from the Spiderman Animated Series, lol), so I think I will give this a look.

      Delete
    3. Actually scratch that, LOL. I've heard enough mixed reviews of Morbius to hold off, for now.

      Of the four fence-sitting books I mentioned above, the only one I think I'll get (and I'm shocked to say it) is Nova. I am not a fan of Marvel's cosmic characters, but this seems like a good jumping on point, and the story tickled my fancy. Cool beans.

      Delete
    4. Lol what else have you heard about Morbius? And I liked Nova, I picked it up on a whim but I enjoyed it.

      Delete
    5. Negative: Bad art, overly emo tone, being uninspired in both plotting and characterization.

      Positive: change of pace from your usual capes and cowls book.

      I'm not writing the book off entirely just yet. I'll just lurk and see where things go from here, and if it takes off I'll jump in.

      Delete
  2. Huge pull for me as well haha, man what a week. Let's hope that the amount of books is equal to the quality of the books! I picked up cap #4, daredevil #23, TMNT #19, Avengers #6, Superior #4, Nova #1, X-o manowar #10, and Ind. Hulk #4. Looking forward to all of your reviews on the book that we 3 picked up. Especially cap, hulk, superior and nova. Most curious about Nova and cap this week. With the cliffhanger of cap 3 that book has got to be getting crazy! Hulk has been great each month, and superior is kind of teetering for me. I like the book, but I just don't love it yet... As for Nova, I know it is loeb and his recent writing has been meh... but Ed mcguiness on art! and I am curious how this will tie in to the cosmic real specifically GOTG. Always, enjoy your comics guys! I hope that I will...

    ReplyDelete
  3. JT, I just read "Captain Marvel" #9 and effing loved it. I mean, sure, it was a little trite to have Frank turn out being the guy running the NGO and it's a little ridiculous that Carol is always flying him around the place, but, man, I just thought DeConnick got the "day in the life" story down pat in this one. Who knew that she had a cat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more, JW. I really felt like she was trying to show up her husband with that issue, lol, because it felt kinda like Hawkeye but not, ya know? And I never knew about the cat! I loved her sending the guy with the cat and saying it was a top secret mission.

      Delete
  4. Any takers for Savage Wolverine? That's another book I was debating going for this week. Not thrilled by the concept, but I was thinking of getting this on a whim, while I wait for the Cornell/Alan Davis Wolverine volume to come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure they would like it, especially with everyone's favorite "eighth smartest man in the world" showing up.

      Delete
    2. Nah, I can't say I'm interested in Savage Wolvie, TRobb... I haven't even added the Cornell Wolverine series yet and I like Cornell's writing! I think I'm at the point where I need a little break from Wolvie for a while.

      Delete
    3. Fair enough. Yeah I heard about Amadeus Cho showing up, why does everybody hate him? I have no experience with the character, though I do think his name is stupid.

      I'm actually missing my Wolverine fix dude, haha. He's present in a lot of books, but the only one I'm reading where I think they are developing the character is Uncanny Avengers. I don't have experience with Cornell, but I hear he's good, and I love Alan Davis on art. Here's hoping that series turns out well.

      Delete