Thursday, February 21, 2013

Nova #1

Second review of the week is the first issue of the new Nova series...  Now, I LOVED the old DnA Nova series, and have been a fan of Richard Rider for quite a few years now.  This comic?  It isn't the Richard Rider Nova...  It looks to be a brand new Nova.  So, who is he?  How did he get the powers of the Nova Force?  And most importantly, will this suck?  We shall find out soon enough...

Nova #1: 

Summary: We get things started by meeting Sam Alexander and his father, Jesse.  Jesse is a high school custodian, but likes to tells stories about back when he was a member of a select group of Nova Corpsmen called Supernovas.  Besides talking about his space exploits, Jesse also likes to drink, so Sam doesn't believe a word that comes out of his father's mouth.  His younger sister, Kaelynn, however, believes all of her father's outlandish tales.  One day Sam comes home and discovers that his father had vanished, which angers him since he thinks his father had cut out on the rest of the family.  Sam takes off, but takes a nasty fall from his skateboard and ends up in the hospital for several days.  One day he wakes up and finds Rocket Raccoon and Gamora in his hospital room.  The two Guardians of the Galaxy tell Sam they had some news concerning his father...

Thoughts: So Sam's dad wasn't a delusional lush after all it seems.  This was an interesting issue for me...  On one hand, the story never really grabbed me...  It wasn't really what I'd call interesting.  Jeph Loeb set stuff up, we met Sam and his family, but none of it was riveting   On the other hand, I liked all of the characters here.  I liked Sam and his family.  So yeah, I was into the characters, but not the story.  Not yet anyway.  I'm gonna guess that Sam finds out that his father died during the Thanos Imperative, and he'll be asked to step in and fill his shoes...  Probably.  I mean, that seems to be the way this one is setting up.  And if that's the case, I'm fine with that.  But regardless, I'll be sticking around for the next few issues to see what comes next.

Score: 7 out of 10.
nova #1
That raccoon's eyes sure do creep me out...

4 comments:

  1. The one thing I really want to know is how the hell did Quill and Thanos (and probably regular Nova) survived after all that Thanos Imperative stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we find that out in the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy comic. I was definitely disappointed that we didn't hear anything about Richard Rider here.

      Delete
  2. The story felt kinda Spiderman-ish to me. I enjoyed it personally though, art was nice, story wasn't anything groundbreaking but it was very good IMO anyway, can't wait for the next issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with all comments here. It definitely felt Spider-Manish to me: he's like Peter Parker without the genius (and stuck in the middle of Arizona, not New York). I thought Loeb did a great job with the characters, so I'm excited where this series goes, because I feel like that's the important part this early. In terms of the story, I definitely feel like we need clarity on how Jesse was a Nova 17 years ago (particularly since I thought for sure that Rich was the first Nova from Earth). If he can manage that, I think it's going to be a great series, particularly if it serves to back up "Guardians of the Galaxy" (which I'm excited to read next).

    ReplyDelete